Upminster Community Web

Upminster Community Web - Upminster Hill

 

 UCW was established in 1998 for the Cranham & Upminster community

 

 

 

Home
Up

 

 

bridge-house-1.jpg (11765 bytes)


Looking east past the Bridge House Inn and the valley of the Ingrebourne. The main route now known as  St Mary's Lane, but previously called Hornchurch Road or Upminster Hill, is the eastwards continuation of the road from Ilford. Heavily laden wagons frequently had trouble negotiating the hill which is also notable as the site of several well-known buildings, including Upminster's famous windmill, the former workhouse, the old Congregational Chapel and Hill Place, now the girl's secondary school of the Sacred Heart of Mary Convent.

bridge-house-2.jpg (13235 bytes)


The term Upminster Bridge refers to the bridge over the River Ingrebourne, rather than the bridge over the railway which can be seen in this photograph. The Bridge House Inn still remains, although it was renamed the Hungry Horse for a short period, before reverting to its historic name.

 


A horse-drawn cartload of hay and its driver on their ways past Upminster Bridge heading towards Hornchurch around 1910. Already speculative house building has started to encroach the route but it was only in the 1930s that development was completed.

hollies-hotel-stmarys-lane.jpg (8013 bytes)


Few passers-by in St Mary's Lane realise that the yellow brick Victorian building on the corner of Cranborne Gardens was, in the early decades of this century, the 16-bedroom Hollies Hotel. This was very popular with commercial travellers and other visitors to the area.

By: Tony Benton

 

Upminster Community Web is a trading name of Turner Design Limited 1998 to Present | Contact advert@upminster.com