|Looking eastwards from The Bell, c.1950. The west to east route
continued past Upminster on its way to Cranham. From The Bell corner it was known as
Cranham Lane or Road until the early 1920s, when it was renamed St Mary's Lane. It
remained a tree-line rural route. With the development of Griggs & Co. of the adjacent
New Place estate.
A westwards view towards Burton's Corner from the junction of Sunnyside
Gardens in the early 1950s. A petrol station still occupies the site on the left of
By: Tony Benton