Looking north up Station Road in about 1950. A mixture of the old and the new is
evident, with the old Cosy Corner offering ice cream and pavement
teas in an increasingly busy setting, although the junction still awaits traffic signals,
first promised in the late 1930s. Until the opening of Upminster's
railway station in May 1885 the road northwards from The Bell
crossroads had been known as Hall Lane, as it was the road
which led to Upminster Hall. Until the early years of this
century there were no buildings on the east side of the road further north than the
current junction with St Lawrence Road, and none on the west side north of the British School (near the current Barclay's Bank).
Looking north, in the early 1920s. On the left of the picture the first Barclay's Bank
building can be seen on the corner of Gaynes Road, while further along the same side of
the road the single-storey London, County & Westminster bank can be glimpsed at the
Branfill Road junction.
The parade of shops between St Lawrence Road and Howard road
in the 1920s. On the left, building work may already be underway on the first Roomes drapery store, while on the right the sign of the first Gates Estates office can be seen. Harry Talbot, greengrocer, was the
older brother of A.E Talbot.
A pony and trap stands outside Green's Stores, ready to take an order to a customer.
The house of Dr Blestoe, who served Upminster for thirty years until his retirement in
1938, is on the far left, and beyond are the private houses of Joseph Gillings, a painting
and decorating contractor, and the adjacent estate office of W.P
Griggs and Co.
By: Tony Benton