Upminster Community Web

 

|Home|

The Old Parish Workhouse

workhouse-cottages.jpg (13120 bytes)

The old parish workhouse was built in 1750 by John Badger and enlarged in1788. It ceased to be needed in 1835 when the new Poor Law Union workhouse at Oldchurch, servicing the Romford area, was built. George Rowe bought the premises and converted them into six cottages, which still remain opposite bridge avenue.

By: Tony Benton

Upminster Comminty Web | Turner Design Ltd 1998-2017 | Contact: admin@upminster.com