- Hornchurch and District Historical Society independent
- St. Mary's Lane, Upminster, Essex RM14 2QL
- 01708 772394
- Opening Times : Apr - Oct, 14.00 - 17.30 Sat & Sun on the 3rd weekend of each month
Upminster windmill was built in 1803 by James Nokes, Upminster's smock mill continued
in use until 1920s. After the death of Clement Abraham, in September 1935, his brothers
and co-owners Thomas and Alfred offered it for sale. Essex
County Council placed a preservation order on it in 1937, eventually acquiring
the mill in 1940. thanks to a public appeal the mill was restored by 1950 but decayed
again over the next decade. The adjoining mill buildings were demolished in 1960 but the
mill received the necessary maintenance work a couple of years later, before passing to
the London Borough of Havering in 1964.
This winter view of the mill in the 1920s shows why Upminster's windmill became one of
the most photographed local landmarks.
By: Tony Benton