Station Road, early 1950s. North of the Congregational Church, Roomes Stores occupies a prominent site.
James Roome, a master draper with a large store in Upton Park, moved to Upminster Garden
Suburb in about 1908 but it was his son, Millice Benjamin Roome, who opened the first
Upminster Roomes store in about 1927. this was further enlarged in 1937.
A bustling summer Saturday in Station Road in about 1960. Dr
Bletsoe's House, which had occupied the corner of Branfill Road, has given way to Roome's
furniture store, completed in 1958, but the old Westminster Bank building still remains on
the opposite corner.
By: Tony Benton