New Place, built in about 1775, was the last and grandest of Sir
James Esdaile's buildings and his main residence. The last resident of this 12-bedroom
red-brick mansion set in 65-acre grounds was John Wilson, former chief engineer of the
Great Eastern Railway. He died in 1922.
The entrance to Clockhouse. Although a campaign to save New Place itself failed in
1924, Clockhouse - the stable block and its distinctive clock turret, which was made in
1784 and relocated from woolwich Arsenal - was preserved for public use.
The buildings of Clockhouse were bought by Upminster Parish Council in 1925 as its
offices and to house the parish fire engine. After the parish became part of the
Hornchurch Urban District Council in 1934 an alternative use was found. Clockhouse was
used as a public library from 1936 until the new library
opened in Corbets Tey Road in 1963.
By: Tony Benton
The main house New Place was pulled down in 1924. The Dining Room of Edsel & Eleanor Ford House in Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan,
USA is panelled with dark pine from the Treaty Room of the Clock House.