Harwood Hall Lane still remains a fairly undeveloped country lane, although now much
used by traffic, unlike when this view was taken in about 1920.
Harwood Hall was built by Sir James Esdaile for his
son-in-law, George Stubbs, in 1782. Col. Henry Holmes lived here while his grand new house
of Grey Towers in Hornchurch was being built in a similar style. In recent years Harwood
Hall was owned by Mr C. Mead and has recently been converted into a private day school 'Oakfields Montessori School'.
The grounds of Harwood Hall, pictured here in about 1911, were often the popular venue
for children's treats provided by Mr Herbert Platten, the occupier in the early years of
By: Tony Benton