On 28the February 1851 the British School, run by the non-conformists under the
influence of the British and Foreign Bible School Society, opened on what is now the site
next to Barclays Bank near the corner of Gaynes and Station Roads. The British School, with its "spacious, airy
and light" schoolroom which was "considered large enough for the requirements of
150 children", was built by the local builder William Hook on land given by Edward
Dawson of Aldcliff Hall, Lancaster.
By: Tony Benton