The Bridge House Inn suffered when the river burst its banks after heavy
rain in August 1888 and disastrous floods occurred. When the river bridge was doubled in width in 1891,
the parish historian Thomas L. Wilson sealed into the brickwork a stone ' time capsule'
containing items typical of the period, including his own Upminster history !
By: Tony Benton