Field Marshall Sir Eveleyn Wood
|Born 1838, and joined the Army as a subaltern 1859. During an hiatus from
military service, called to the Bar at
the Middle Temple 1874. With increasing Victorian military needs, returned to the
Army, eventually becoming Colonel of the 5th Battallion Essex Regiment, Commanding Officer
of the Colchester Garrison 1886-1888, and Commanding Officer at Aldershot 1888-1893.
Earned his Victoria Cross at Sebastopol, when, as a junior officer, he was wounded
while ladder-scaling at the Redan. Was also decorated for distinguished servive in
the Ashantee, Indian Mutiny and Zulu Wars. Married the Hon. Mary Paulina Sothwell in
1867; she was the sister of the 4th Viscount Southwell, and they had two sons, one
becoming Revd. Sir John Page Wood (Baronet), Vicar of Cressing and St.Peter's, Cornhill,
in London. Sir Eveleyn Wood retired from the Army with the rank of Field Marshall in
1894. Thereafter he lived in Upminster, and during his "retirement" became
a Justice of the Peace on the Brentwood bench, and later was appointed H.M. Deputy
Lieutenant for Essex. Field Marshall Sir Evelyn Wood died in 1919.