Upminster Community Web

 

|Home|

The Esdaile Family

sir-james-esdaile.jpg (3252 bytes)

Sir James Esdaile

esdaile-shield.jpg (4654 bytes)

(1770-1839)

1748: James Esdaile moves to Upminster with his wife and two children Peter and Louise. His wife's name was Mary, and she was affectionately known in later life as "Mrs.Mayor". Mary brought New Place with her as a dowry.

1766: Sir James Esdaile was elected Lord Mayor of London in the same year, receiving the customary knighthood."

1770: At this point the Gaynes Manor is broken up into smaller parts, and Sir James Esdaile retained New Place, 100 acres, and the Lordship of the Manor.

Sir James starts a building programme: Gaynes Manor, New Place, Harwood Hall, Londons, Reuilt the old Lady Chapel in Upminster Church.

Sons of Sir James Esdaile:

Peter Esdaile (d.1817)

1793: Peter (1743-1817) inherits from his father, Sir James

James Esdaile (d.1812)

1802: John(19) & Peter(20) two of seven children, of James, die

1805: Susanna(18) daughter of James dies

1812: James kills himself in grief of his children

1817: James' eldest son James inherits from Peter his uncle and sells part of the estate.

1820: James sells off 540 acres, but keeps New Place (78 acres) and Hunts Farm (130 acres) as Lord of the Manor (Hunts is wehere the bronze age item were found).

1839:

  • New Place was sold to James Harmer a London Alderman
  • James Cuddon of Norwich buys the now smaller Gaynes estate and the Lordship
  • High house, Hunts farm, West Lodge were also sold off.
  • The  was sold to Mr F Seabrook
  • The Bell Inn was purchased by Frederick Seabrooke, a Thurrock brewer.  Seabrooke's was to become a forerunner of Charrington's, a company which still owns many pubs and breweries today.

There are two major houses to consider, associated with the Esdaile family: New Place and Gaynes

By: Tony Fox

 

Upminster Comminty Web | Turner Design Ltd 1998-2017 | Contact: admin@upminster.com