|The manor known in the middle ages as "Gaynes" is probably named for the
Engayne or d'Engayne family who held it 1218-c.1360. Viel Engayne is the
first of this family known to be associated with the manor, holding it jointly
with Roger Gernet in 1281, and having inherited from the daughter(s) of an
earlier holder called Richard Fitzurse. However, Ada, a widow of the de
Curtenay family, also had some interest in the manor, and was not bought out
by Viel Engayne until 1221.
It is clear that Engayne had a personal interest in Upminster, because instead of being
satisfied with what could have been a cash investment in the manor, he bought out Roger
Gernet in 1223 (as well as a
certain mino interest held by a certain man called de Countelo, of whom we know nothing
else). In 1248, Viel's two sons, Henry and John Engayne held the manor of Gaynes and
in 1297 John's son, also named John, and later Lord Engayne, inherited from his father.
The principal tenant at the turn of the 14th century was Simon de Havering, of whom
tere are quite extensive records suggesting that he was a mediaeval land entrepreneur.
Gaynes manor increased to about 1500 acres in its heyday of the mid-15th century,
occupying about the southern third of the parish, as well as the common in the north and
the village green and roads, etc. It was clearly the principal manor in Upminster.