The Branfill Family
|The Branfill family first owned property in Upminster in
1683. The family had shipping and marine merchant interests, and was
well-established in London. They did well, and like many successful London
merchants, probably wished to invest in land, and preferably land near London.
Similar examples of 17th century nouveau riche purchasing southern Essex manors at about
this time are widespread. In the case of Upminster, the former manor of Upminster Hall was seen as easily separable from Gaynes (the two having been amalgamated under Ralph Latham. However, the Lordship of the Manor remained with
the holders of Gaynes (see Esdaile) who were to set
themselves up at New Place a short time in the future.
Some geneaology of the Branfill family is as follows:
- Captain Andrew Branfil (d.1709) purchased Upminster
Hall in 1685.
- Champion Branfil (1683-1738) inherited Upminster
Hall, at the age of 26 in 1709. In 1736 he was High Sheriff of Essex.
- Champion Branfil (1712-1770) Barrister, inherited from his father in
- Champion Branfil (1764-1792)
- Champion Edward Branfil (1789-1844) inherited the estate from his
father at the age of three.
- Ann Eliza Branfil (d.1873) suceeded from her husband Shampion Edward.
- Col. Benjamin Aylett Branfil 2nd son of Ann Eliza inherited in 1873
- Champion Andrew Branfil grandson of Col. Benjamin